How to Make a Fabric Mini Basket
We can never have enough storage and when it comes Christmas season, a handmade storage basket makes the best gift. Add personal charm with sewing machine embroidery faster than ever.
Finished basket size = 5″ x 5″ x 5 1/4″
Materials to make a fabric mini basket:
- Download the Fabric Mini-Basket Rose Template
- 2 (two) 5 1/2 inch square of cream solid fabrics
- 2 (two) 5 1/2 inch square of printed fabric
- 2 (two) 6 x 5 1/2 inch rectangles of print fabrics for pockets
- 1 (one) 20 1/2 x 6 inch rectangle of print fabric for lining
- 2 (two) 6 x 6 inch square of print fabrics for bottom
- 1 (one) 20 x 5 inch rectangle of fusible batting (medium weight)
- 1 (one) 30 x 2 1/2 inch strip of binding fabric
- 2 (two) 3 x 5 1/2 inch rectangle of fusible interfacing
- 28-weight gray thread for machine sewing (or gray embroidery thread for hand embroidery)
- Your sewing machine
- Open embroidery foot (BERNINA Open embroidery foot #20/#20C/#20D)
- Download the Rose Pattern for the Fabric Mini Basket above. Transfer the rose on the cream solid fabric centrally using a fabric marker.
2. Thread the sewing machine with the 28-weight gray thread and shorten the stitch length to 0.7mm. Attach an open-toe appliqué foot (BERNINA Open embroidery foot #20) to see better. Place a piece of stabilizer on the back.
3. Using a regular straight stitch, sew around each letter. Sew the rose pattern on the remaining cream solid fabric following the same steps.
Making basket units
4. Fuse 3 x 5 1/2 inch fusible interfacing on the wrong side of 6 x 5 1/2 inch pocket fabric matching one side. Make two and fold in half.
5. Place a pocket atop of 5 1/2 in print fabric. Sew the embroidered piece and the pocket unit together. Make two.
6. Sew all the basket units together matching short raw edges and press seam one side.
7. Sew the 20 1/2 x 6 inch lining fabric to the basket and fuse 20 x 5 inch fusible batting on the wrong side of the basket unit.
8. Topstitch 1/8 inch from each seam line between side panels and pockets.
9. Fold in the lining, press well and pin the top raw edges.
10. Fuse 5 1/4 inch square fusible batting on the wrong side of 6 inch square bottom fabrics centrally. Sew two 6 inch square bottom fabric together, right side facing, with 3/4 inch seam allowance, leaving a 3 inch opening for turning. Turn right side out and press well. The bottom should measure 5 1/4 inch square. Hand stitch opening closed.
Assemble and finish
11. Pin the bottom unit and the basket unit in place and hand stitch to assemble. Use 100% cotton Quilting thread for sturdy finish.
12. Sew the binding to the top edge of basket and fold the binding over to the back of the basket and then hand stitch in place to finish.
13. Embellish the pocket with labels if you have one. Attach the handles using eyelet tool.
Originally from BERNINA WE ALL SEW
Quilting Thread Types & Differences
Sewing and quilting is an art form that requires attention to detail, the right equipment, and right sewing supplies. When...Read More
Curvy Coasters Tutorial
Curves are generally seen as a more advanced technique when it comes to quilt piecing. Quilts based on a Drunkard’s...Read More
In-Store Home Show SALES!
We won't be in our usual spot at the Buffalo Home Show this year BUT GOOD NEWS! We are still...Read More
New Paper Piecing Classes with Eileen
Eileen is a paper piecing EXPERT! Are you interested in learning more about paper piecing and advancing your skills?...Read More
5 Tips for a Smooth Start to Sewing
How can I prevent the fabric from being pulled into the bobbin case area when I start sewing? Especially when...Read More
Rachel's Staff Pick
Rachel's Staff Pick is this Blush by Clothworks fabric collection! She recommends this fabric because it has gorgeous watercolor effects,...Read More
Free-Motion Quilted Placemats
The tutorial will take the quilting design from a sketch on paper to four unique placemats that will help practice...Read More
Victor Location Press Release
(FROM GLOBE NEWSWIRE) Siblings Scott Perry and Alyssa McDonnell, hadn’t planned on quitting their careers as an engineer and a...Read More
December Sew-Along Event
Join us in-store or virtually for our Holiday Sew-Along event! This event is included in your 22/23 Club membership. Make a...Read More
Our Victor Store is OPEN!!
IT'S FINALLY HERE!! Our Victor store is OPEN!! We thank you for your patience while we have gotten our third store...Read More
International Quilt Market
After three very long years, the International Quilt Market has finally returned! Alyssa, Sheila and myself (Scott) just returned from...Read More
Victor Store Updates from Scott & Alyssa
We are SEW EXCITED to see our sewing family growing! We are progressing with getting our new Victor store ready. We...Read More
Carve your Pumpkins with us!
Getting your pumpkins ready for Halloween? Carve a pumpkin with this downloadable Aurora Sewing Center stencil! DOWNLOAD STENCIL Just pick which size...Read More
Fun Glow-in-the-Dark Projects with Wonderfil Thread
Want to do something that really stands out this Halloween? This easy project uses machine embroidery and glow in the...Read More
Cleaning & Oiling Your Machine
Remove hardware Before you start your machine cleaning, remove the needle, presser foot, stitch plate, and bobbin case from your...Read More
We Are Expanding to Victor, NY!
Aurora Sewing Center, which has two locations in the Buffalo, New York area, is sew excited to announce they are expanding their...Read More
Our staff member Laura LOVES using Wonder Clips when she is quilting! They hold quilt layers together better than just...Read More
Customer Appreciation Days
Join us for Customer Appreciation Days!! Deals will be running in-store Thursday, Sept. 1st - Saturday, Sept. 3rd. This event is...Read More
Why Do I Need Firmware Upgrades for My Sewing Machine?
Firmware is a software program or an updated set of instructions used in electronic-based sewing machines that are provided by our...Read More
Sewing & Quilting Health Benefits
Quilting is not only a fun and creative hobby, but it also has many health benefits that can improve your...Read More
1 2 Older articles »